Unsure about renting a vehicle and driving Antigua? This article will help.
Rent a Car or Jeep in Antigua
I would say yes to renting a car in Antigua. Go direct from the airport too because its an easy start. It is quite easy to drive in Antigua if you take a few tips in hand.
Drive somewhat defensively and watch out for the road surface or lack of it at times.
Everyone drives slowly and so should you! This not only makes checking the upcoming road and condition into account it makes it so much more pleasurable.
Take extra time and take your time to get to places and just see the road you are on as an adventure.
Avoid driving at night if possible as the road is poorly lit and people walk on the roads; often there is no choice. Also other vehicles don't have good lights making it confusing. If that is not enough signposts are impossible to read at times due to fading.
Before I put you off further, rejoice in some stunning views, some absolute comedy moments and points of interest almost at every turn. Enjoy travel in air conditioned cars or SUV's and get the freedom to really GET Antigua...
Should you rent a car in Antigua?
If you are first time visitors to Antigua and have only a week then I might suggest you find a good value professional local licensed driver (they often double as tour guides). Ask us Best Antigua for a recommendation. We say this because you might find the resort lifestyle enough for you- if you want to see Antigua then get a car or take an island tour.
Renting a villa? You will need to rent a vehicle.
You might consider renting a car for a few days or just one (we offer single day rentals). I would recommend repeat visitors (or if you plan on visiting Antigua) to rent a car or jeep to get to some of the harder to reach spots. You might be looking around an average of 50 - 70 UD each day you need a taxi or local driver. If you use him all day then it would be better to take an organised tour perhaps?
Tips on Renting a Car or Jeep
- Check over the paperwork and look for marks not shown on the paperwork.
- Take insurance and understand what is covered.
- Fit a dash cam! Film terrific footage to look back on one day
- Share the driving (if you dont mind to buy an extra temporary license at 20 USD).
- Take an automatic.
- If you hire from a local company enjoy better service, larger web players don't give you the attention you get with a good local provider (Not to mention supporting Antigua locals).
- Check extra charges the bigger web players add before deciding who to use.
- Make sure you get a quote from Best Antigua before you chose a provider (Best Antigua use local suppliers and support Antigua).
Tips on Driving in Antigua
- It's not always possible to avoid driving in St Johns but don't be fearful- just try and know your general sense of direction and follow the flow of cars as the one way 'system' can get you a little lost.
- Don't be afraid to ask locals the way!
- Take it easy- speeds are often slow don't get too tempted to drive fast you can't always see pot holes or speed bumps and they are not made well (will cause damage).
- Watch out for the edges of the road dissapearing especially on fig tree drive.
- Avoid driving at night.
Car Rental Companies in Antigua
To get started in choosing your provider take a look at some of the recommended car rental companies.
Car Rental Companies in Antigua
|Website Link or Contact Number|
|Best Antigua Car Rental||https://bestantigua.com/car-rental|
|Car Rental Calculator||Check the car rental calculator to get our provider prices now!|
Get a feel for the roads with Best Antigua Drive Chat on Youtube.